A Singaporean In India

A little record of my sojourn in India

Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Hmm...what can I say? Life seems to have fallen into a rut. Partly my fault I guess, I'm not exactly a party guy.

Mondays to Fridays, I work from 0930 hrs to 1945hrs. By the time I get back to Tollygunge, it's almost 2100 hrs. Pop by Mr chicken-roll to make myself happy.

(I have to take a picture of him and his chicken roll stall someday ... that guy reminds me of PCK complete with curly hair and a huge mole on his cheek)

A quick session on the internet in a cafe until 2200 hrs (when it closes). These days I study Hindi and Japanese till 1230 or so before retiring for the night. My reasons for studying Hindi I can understand. I am, after all, in India...but why on earth Japanese? I guess it might come in useful since the client company we are developing software for is Japanese.....

that and the fact that since almost half of the Japanese is Kanji, people who read and write Chinese have a definite advantage here. (I should have taken Japanese classes when I was younger. I had the option to take it up as a third language when I was in secondary school but I passed it up. Oh well.)

Last weekend I reached my nadir at last. I spent most of Saturday on the internet (racking up a huge bill in the process). Studied till midnight.

I blew Sunday studying.
(Yes ma, you heard right, I spent a whole Sunday studying Hindi and Japanese)
I must say, studying is a MUCH cheaper way of passing time than other activities I could name. After I was finished, my head was all tight and tingly, kinda like the first time I studied French, felt like my head was about to explode like an over-ripe tomato. Well, at least my French has improved.

Anyhow, I can write simple Hindi and Japanese sentences already. At least my efforts have not come to naught.

Mes co-locataires have abandoned me. Oh woe! Maxime's girlfriend has come from Canada and Beyhan's off somewhere chasing a Taiwanese skirt. We always knew she was coming some day, but Melody Seguin appeared in our lives with an abruptness that was quite disconcerting.

Oh well, I can't walk around half-naked anymore. (Beyhan, if you ask which half, I will reach out and strangle you with my mouse-cord!)

There's going to be a nation-wide strike on Thursday. We get that day off but have to work on Saturday though. TCS employees! Strike on saturday and we'll have a looooong weekend!

P.S. Please don't be disturbed if some of my future posts are in Hindi, Japanese, French or a crazy mix of all three d'accord? I am practicing.

Oyasumi tout le monde!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home