A Singaporean In India

A little record of my sojourn in India

Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Dear friends,

I have another blog to fill up with my assorted acerbic comments! Yay! You will find it at http://fba90130.multiply.com/. There are so many fun features and useful tools in this new blog that I am tempted to move over there. Unfortunately, I am the kind of sloth that loathes change (isn't it ironic?), so we shall see.....we shall see. Uploading of photos and music is so much easier over there....so maybe I'll use it as a photo repository.

The festival of the gazillion gods are upon us....

We have now begun the festive period of the Puja, when Indians all over India celebrate the multitudes of gods they have in their mythology. At last count, they number 30 crore (or roughly 300 million) , so you can see, they spend quite a lot of time celebrating.

Last weekend, they celebrated the God of Manual Labour. There were dancing on the streets and people trying their best to make more noise than the traffic (no mean feat I can tell you). Reminds me of people celebrating Mardi Gras in New Orleans.

So there I was standing outside entrance of the Guild of Electricians and Property Movers (at least I think that's what they were called ...they're labourers that move filming equipment for movie studios) and that was as far as I cared to go. There are quite a few movie studios here in this area...maybe I can make a few extra bucks as a movie extra ...I'm pretty good at playing corpse #5 or kungfu fighter #2 or innocent bystander #4 hehe.

They're going to have a bus strike (again)....

India has as many guilds/unions as they have gods. Maybe more, and every bit as noisy and vindictive as their gods. Luckily for us TCS employees, the bus-strike does not involve the company buses ferrying us to and from work every day. I guess they need ANOTHER holiday...noticed they take turns to go on strike.

Ah well when the 5 day holiday comes around half on India would be on leave, and the other on strike.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home