A Singaporean In India

A little record of my sojourn in India

Sunday, September 18, 2005

Let us begin this post with a few moments silence for my dearly departed hair **SOB**.
Friends and family, I am now in the deepest mourning for my hair because I forgot the cardinal rule of life in India #1: NEVER make assumptions about the quality of anything you buy in India.

On the first week of my arrival in Kolkata, I went to a barber on the street and got a pretty decent haircut for 30 rs. Sure, there were cockroaches in the basin (I entertained myself watching it trying to crawl out and slipping down the side). Sure, the barber took his time with the haircut (took about 2 hours I think). He managed a haircut which I found highly satisfactory (even better than the peter-and-gays hanging around Supercuts in singapore and a heck of a less expensive too).

The landlady of our flat in Gurusday had a family business emergency in Delhi and needed funds urgently. She sold the flat in Gurusday (70 lakhs! less than 300k SGD)and we were again busy scrambling for a place to stay. Luckily, AIESEC came through for us and we got a nice place in the far southern reaches of Kolkata at Tollygunge. It is a nice place. Cool enough to not need air-conditioning...a little far away from the citycenter but it had ALL forms of transport that India had to offer. (Metro, trams and 2 bus depots...one CTC(private) and one government owned).

Ok to the point: I needed a haircut and I saw this barber charging 10 rs. I took it, assuming that the results would be roughly the same. Now I look like a recruit from Nee Soon BMTC. There is no orange bag big enough for my head this time.

On the other hand, now EVERYBODY thinks I'm Japanese. Even the Japanese.
Sayonara watashi no kamigata..."--

2 Comments:

At 2:04 PM, Blogger Triin said...

pictures! pictures! : )

 
At 8:45 AM, Blogger fba90130 said...

You wish Sunshine, you wish ;p.
However, my new look is exactly NS style. So I guess you should know...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home