A Singaporean In India

A little record of my sojourn in India

Saturday, September 17, 2005



The rest of Agra was a load of fun, but you had to be kind of AIESEC-ish to appreciate it.

Hey AIESEC, I don't mean to put down AIESECers but I find them to be terribly clannish.

Anyhoo... if a picture is worth a thousand words. Here's a small novel.

Blog a la Triin...we had fun. End-of-story.

But I must say though, I found the Taj very well built for something that old. The "government" guide we hired tried to put a very romantic face to the whole story. Of course after the whole thing was over it didn't stop the sleazy bastard from cheating us.

One of the Moghul (Mongols) emperors of India tried very hard to have children, but failed although he had many wives. Mumtaz gave him a whole basketful of heirs. She died trying. She made him promise to take no more wives after her and to build the Taj. He delivered to the letter. I fail to see the romance in this (although it could very well be that the Emperor truly loved his wife as he could break his promise very easily after her death).

Yours truly...the Master of the Orange Bag.

5 Comments:

At 2:13 PM, Blogger Triin said...

thanks for the categorisation, Marcus.. blog entry a la triin sounds khmm... fairly interesting : P but to tell you the truth, i don't like this category!

as for the taj, you know i escaped paying 750 - i never entered the tomb area! for 250 i got a private sunrise tour around it in the romantic lost glory gardens, and the boat trip on the river behind it with views that take quite a few breaths away - the FULL reflection.. i have mentioned the monetary numbers here, but this one was really priceless, and in total peace

greetings from estonia!! : )

 
At 3:29 AM, Blogger fba90130 said...

Triin, you have to admit your blogs are kinda short and seriously lacks description.

(Ok, I'll admit mine goes all over the place and i always tell a long grandmother's story)

I'm very interesting in what's going on your side, but always find just a few words on any post. ;p

I'm not trying to categorize you Triin. As usual you defy catergorization. You went ALL the way to the Taj and you didn't go in? Sacre bleu!

But yeah, I was standing on the parapet taking the breeze and the view of the river wishing I had the time to do a boat tour. Ah well, c'est la vie.

 
At 3:57 AM, Blogger fba90130 said...

Joon,

Yes, I'm soaking up a little more AIESEC spirit each day.

To tell you the truth, I don't identify with the loud music, the booze and the dancing. (Ok, I'll admit I'm a boring old coot about to enter dotage).

During GV, sometimes I see an AIESEC group clam up when I show up. Either:
A) I stink (maybe..didn't get the chance to bathe much)
B) They're saying something AIESECish they don't want me to hear.

 
At 2:13 PM, Blogger Triin said...

i always enjoy the trialogue on marcus' comments' line - joon, marcus, triin : ) haha but happy to have seen some 'third party' contributors too, sometimes! : D so, here's an encouragemet for more of that.. otherwise we may start thinking its our monopoly! : P

updates on my place on the way very soon.. i am still gathering the right momentum!!

 
At 3:09 AM, Blogger Hamster said...

Heeeeyyy...okay, time to make it a quadri-logue =p

I can't believe it's taken me THIS long to discover Marcus' blog..was always wondering who's fba90210, but think i finally figured it out! MARCUS!! How are ya??

We be two Singaporeans in the same country, although at completely opposite corners of this diamond-shaped country. Crazy-ass blog u've got here, I'll come back for more next time!

AND TRIIIINNN....How long more do we waaaiiit? Stop procrastinating girl! =p

Yamini, in Bangalore =p

 

Post a Comment

<< Home